Wells Cathedral

    SubTitle

    Excavations and structural studies, 1978-93
    Wells Cathedral large image 1
        Hardback

        Publication Date

        15 Jun 2001

        Summary

        Archaeological excavation, architectural survey and historical research carried out between 1978 and 1993 have elucidated the origins and early development of Wells Cathedral.
        9920612
        9920612

        Main Summary

          Archaeological excavation, architectural survey and historical research carried out between 1978 and 1993 have elucidated the origins and early development of Wells Cathedral. Study concentrated primarily on the cloister and its adjuncts, and excavation took place in the adjoining ‘Camery’ garden. Here lay an ancient cemetery and the foundations of a succession of demolished buildings, ranging in date from Roman to post-medieval. Collectively, these enshrined a continuous development of religious and sepulchral activity, probably from the fourth to the mid-sixteenth century; secular uses followed. Adjacent to the Camery are the springs from which Wells takes its name. The first mention of the ‘holy well’ and minster church of St Andrew is in A.D. 766.

          Excavation yielded a complex stratigraphic sequence, demonstrating how an anonymous late Roman mausoleum burial probably provided the raison d’être for the development of a Middle Saxon cemetery and chapel, and hence for the origins of Wells Cathedral itself in 909. The establishment of this sequence is uniquely important in the history of English cathedral archaeology and sets Wells alongside developments in continental Europe.

          Additional Information

          Author

          Warwick Rodwell

          Publishing Status

          Active

          Size

          305mm

          Number of Illustrations

          430

          Number of Pages

          620

          ISBN

          9781850747413

          Contents

            Plates

            Figures

            Tables

            Foreword

            Preface

            Acknowledgements

            Summary

            Résumé

            Zusammenfassung

            Volume 1

            Part 1. Historical and Structural Sequence

            1. Introduction

            2. Topography and Early Settlement

            3. The Anglo-Saxon Minster of Saint Andrew

            4. The Late Saxon Cathedral and Norman Collegiate Church, c. 909-1200

            5. Reginald de Bohun’s Church c. 1175-1239

            6. The Lady Chapel-by-the-Cloister, c. 1196-1477

            7. Bishop Stillington’s Lady Chapel and Chantry, 1477-1522

            8. The Cloister Complex, I: General Development, and the South East Ranges

            9. The Cloister Complex, II: Ancillary Structures, Garth, and West Range

            10. The Camery

            11. Medieval Water Supply and Distribution Systems

            Volume 2

            Part 2. Specialist Studies: Artefacts and Burials

            12. Structural Materials and Decoration

            13. Funerary Monuments and Devotional Sculpture

            14: Loose Artefacts

            15: Burials

            Appendices

            Notes to chapters

            Abbreviations and Bibliography

            Index

            Reviews